The next Exploring Diversity Issues Brown Bag will be held on 10-5-12 from 12 to 2 in Division J, 270 South Tejon, Courtroom 270 West. No cost. No preregistration is required. 2 Ethics CLEs will be available. Questions can be directed to Regina Walter 640-6633
Jean Miller, Esq will present on the new Deferred Action [acción diferida] immigration policy. The topics to be covered are, in part:
- Who is eligible? What are the five requirements? Which are easy? Which are problematic?
- Is this the same as the DREAM Act? (No.) What is the difference? What rights / privileges does one gain upon approval by USCIS (right to work, etc.)?
- Is this the same as “Amnesty”? (No.) How is it different?
- What is the (rather detailed) process to submit an application? (Forms, forms, more forms and proofs)? What are the costs (fee to USCIS, ~$465)?
- How will this law, and its potential benefits, affect the way we lawyer, judge and otherwise work professionally with the Spanish-speaking community?
- Where can I learn more about this law so that I can encourage my eligible clients to take advantage of this great opportunity?